This app is fully accessible with VoiceOver and can be purchased from the app store for iOS. Download Downcast in the App Store.
Useful gestures for this app:
- One finger touch and drag: explore the screen
- Swipe right or left: select the next or previous item
- One finger Double-tap: activate the selected item
- Two-finger double-tap: answer or end a call. Play or pause in music, videos, voice memos or podcasts
- Two finger scrub: while touching with two fingers, move back and forth to move back a screen
- Rotor gesture: while touching the screen with two fingers slightly apart, turn them in the same fashion as turning a dial on a radio
- One finger swipe up or down: activates the feature you have chosen with the rotor gesture
How to subscribe:
- There are five tabs across the bottom of the screen. The "Add" tab is in the centre of the row. Double-tap on it.
- From the top left, flick right until you reach the "Search for Podcasts" button and double-tap it. It is immediately after the "Add Podcasts Manually" button.
- You will be placed in an edit field found at the top left of the screen. Type in the name of a show you want to subscribe to. For instance, Double Tap Canada. Find the "Search" button which appears in the bottom right corner.
- You will then be placed in a list of results found by your search. Flick left or right to navigate these results. Double-tap on the show you want.
- This takes you to the show entry page. Near the top left of the screen, right after the show name, you'll find a "Subscribe" button. Double-tap this to subscribe to the podcast. A chime will sound to alert you that you have successfully subscribed. You can further flick right to find more information on the show, view episodes, etc. Once this has been done, double-tap the "Back" button found at the top left corner to move back to the search screen where you can search for other podcasts and subscribe to them using the steps above.
How to play:
- Upon opening the app, you will be in the "Podcasts" tab. If you're elsewhere, the tab can be found at the bottom left corner of the screen. Double-tap this tab.
- Flick right through the list which starts with podcasts containing unplayed episodes at the top. Flick left or right to navigate the list and double-tap on the podcast you want to hear. The app will automatically refresh your list of podcasts every time you open it.
- You will now be in the list of available episodes starting with the most recent. Flick left or right to navigate this list and double-tap on the episode you want to hear. It will begin playing.
- During playback, you will be in a screen containing controls to help you enjoy the podcast. Flick left or right to go through options double-tapping on what you want to do. The "Back" button at the top left will return you to the list of episodes. Tip: You can also play/pause the audio by doing a two-fingered double tap. Also known as the “magic gesture.”
Once you’ve spent some time in the app adding podcasts and listening to them, it is recommended to investigate the rest of the tabs. In particular, the “More” tab, as it has many features under settings which may be of use. For example, there is an option to only stream podcasts. This is helpful for not filling up your iPhone with podcast downloads. However, if you would like to download a few podcasts to listen when you may not have internet connectivity, this is where you would change this option. You can also have podcasts only stream or download while you are connected to wifi. This is helpful if you are concerned about your cellular data.
Was this helpful? We want your feedback. Tell us what you think about these platforms. Are they accessible? Do you enjoy using them? Is there another app you use to download podcasts that you prefer?