Tuesday, September 21, 2021Authored on September 21, 2021
On today's NOW with Dave Brown:
- AMI News Director Mike Ross and Producer Paul Daniel joined Dave for a post-election recap roundtable.
- Community reporter Dorothy McNaughton from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario told us about the new train station in town.
- Nelson Rego of Cool Blind Tech ponders the future of autonomous cars for blind and visually impaired customers.
- In another edition of our Weekly News Quiz, Karen Magee, Mark Phoenix and Dave were be put to the test by quizmaster Corinne Van Dusen.
Monday, September 20, 2021Authored on September 20, 2021
On the Monday, September 20, 2021 edition of Now with Dave Brown:
- Michelle McQuigge of the Canadian Press shares a recap of the news that made headlines this past weekend.
- Digital accessibility specialist Denis Boudreau shares his evaluation of Quebec’s vaccine passport app.
- Film reviewer Kim Thistle shares her commentary on the Netflix documentary, “Blood Brothers: Malcolm X and Muhammad Ali.”
- Marc Aflalo of Double Tap TV explores the implications of the court ruling for the Epic Games and Apple case.
- Jim Krysko shares his western regional report and tells us about the demand for Alberta to re-evaluate its employment standards for people with disabilities.
COVID-19 crisis in AlbertaAuthored on September 17, 2021
On Friday September 17's show:
- In our weekly news panel with Michelle McQuigge and Joeita Gupta we discuss:
- the COVID-19 crisis in Alberta and consider the interference of politics on public health policies
- the ethics and optics of anti-vaccination protests at hospitals across Canada
- and, we ask our ourselves how we’re feeling about the 2021 federal election campaign
- Entertainment critic Michael McNeely continues his coverage on this year’s Toronto international film festival! He also shares his review of the accessibility at this year’s event
- AMI’s communication specialists Greg David gives us the scoop on the 73rd annual Primetime Emmy Awards. He also discusses Mary Mammoliti’s new AMI-tv show Dish with Mary
CNIB's Connecting the Dots ConferenceAuthored on September 15, 2021
On September 15's show:
- Joeita Gupta, host of The Pulse, shares her report on the Green Party's platform for the 2021 federal election. We also hear clips from an interview she did with Kimberley Vance Mubanga, the Diversity and Inclusion Critic for the Green Party of Canada Shadow Cabinet
- Shaini Saravanamuthu introduces her new lifestyle column! She tells us how to prep for the fall season and shares tips on home décor, activities and home baking. To access her recipe for apple crisp, visit here
- Community reporter Guy Carriere in Sudbury, Ontario describes this year’s CNIB Connecting the Dots Conference. He also reminds us of services available for the voting at the 2021 election
- Mike Agerbo of The App Show chats about Rayban’s new partnership with Facebook for a new pair of smart glasses. He also tells us about iRobot’s new Roomba and describes a new project by Apple Maps in Canadian cities
- Veteran political correspondent Craig Oliver analyzes the 2021 federal election and discusses Jody Wilson-Raybould’s new book '"Indian" in the Cabinet: Speaking Truth to Power'
- Simon Topp, the NDP Candidate for Don Valley East, describes New Democrats’ party platform
Climate change and polar bearsAuthored on September 14, 2021
On September 14's show:
- Accessibility reporter Meagan Gillmore talks about how to make voting more accessible
- Environmental contributor Lawrence Gunther discusses the impact of climate change on polar bears and describes their new interbreeding with grizzly bears
- Community reporter J.R. Bjornson tells us about the upcoming Sight Night in Red Deer, Alberta. He also describes the Red Deer Arts Council's open studio tour
- Nelson Rego of Cool Blind Tech describes McDonald’s partnership with Vispero to install accessible kiosks for blind customers. He also tells us about Accessible-Coconut, a community-driven Linux operating system that aims to make technology accessible. And, he shares a top on how to make Mac speak announcements and notifications
- Joeita Gupta, host of The Pulse, shares her report on the Liberal Party’s platform for the 2021 election. She shares clips from her interview with Carla Qualtrough, the Liberal candidate for Delta, British Columbia
- Contestants Karen Magee and Mark Phoenix compete in another edition of our weekly news quiz, with Corinne Van Dusen as our quizmaster!